The Chain Bridge was the first permanent bridge in the city. It’s construction started on the iniative of count István Széchenyi. The architect of the bridge was Tierney Clark, and the work was led by the Scottish Adam Clark. The construction lasted 10 years. In the year 1848, while the last chain was pulled up, the hoisting chain broke, and – bursting the bridge – it fell into the water. Fortunately, the bridge could be fully restored within a couple of days. The Austrians tried to demolish the bridge under construction: colonel Alnoch detonated three powder kegs on it, but the explosion didn’t do serious damage to the structure (As the chamber was filled with water, the explosive couldn’t be put to the most sensitive part of the bridge. The explosion killed solely Alnoch.) The Chain Bridge was inaugurated on 20th November 1849. The lion sculptures of János Marschalkó were put there in 1850. The square at the Buda bridgehead was named after Clark (Clark Ádám tér). The Chain Bridge (just like other bridges of Budapest) is not merely a crossing, but a truly spectacular sight.